Friday, January 16, 2015

Year of the Trolls: Designing My Meat Mountain

2015 has finally come around and it is time to start thinking about what I am going to paint if I am going to make "The Year Of The Troll" a reality.

First up how do I build a list that is going to be fairly competitive? Looking around the forums it is pretty easy to see that all the talk is about the "Miserable Meat Mountain". There are a lot of different builds that people are touting and the key seems to involve a couple of units of Warders (defensive infantry) with a Krielstone Bearer (defensive buffing infantry). Throw a good caster, a tough warbeast, and some strike infantry and it sounds like you have a good list.

Now that I know that much I am throwing the rest out of the window and building something that I like to look of!

First up lets find a caster. There are some really nice looking models in the range. One of my favourite models is Grim Angus. His feat is quite defensive which seems to pair up nicely with the whole theory of the list. He can buff friendly troops to help them get into combat, and he can annoy enemy units, making them drop their defence or be unable to charge. Sounds good to me! Plus he has a gun and I love a good gun line.

When it comes to warbeasts everyone loves Mulg. His ability to protect his caster and knock the socks off enemy ones makes him a powerhouse on the tabletop. Plus I watched him roll over me in a game in 15 minutes a few years ago and it would be nice to do that to someone. Does not really matter what you add after that!

Units. The Meat Mountain people seem to have that under control but I am going to make some changes. Warders and a Krielstone Bearer & Stone Scribes are a no brainer. I like the idea of the Champions rather than the second Warders unit. They are semi defensive but have attacking power on the charge. Plus it means that I don't have to duplicate units. Last but not least I am going to add some Fennblades. I love the models and I have real trouble knocking them off when I see them across the table.

Flavour the list with a couple of solos to help the Fennblades move around the table, and a Fell Caller Hero to get them back up when they are knocked down, and it sounds like a pretty decent list.

My 50 point Meat Mountain List
Grim Angus
- Mulg the Ancient
- Troll Axer

Fell Caller Hero

Fennblade Kithkar

Krielstone Bearer & Stone Scribes - Leader & 5 Grunts

- Stone Scribe Elder
Trollkin Fennblades - Leader & 9 grunts
- Fennblade Officer and Drummer - Officer & Drummer
Trollkin Champions - Leader & 4 Grunts
Trollkin Warders - Leader & 4 Grunts

I've already started thinking about expansion options - Kriel Warriors and Highwaymen are looking pretty great but I should probably focus on the first 50 points before I start thinking about the next!

Time to hit the brushes!

No comments: