Saturday, October 19, 2013

New Army Bag for Me!

As I mentioned in my last post, the guys at Slave To Painting held a sale a couple of weeks ago and I weakened and bought a few resin bases. I also made a serious investment and bought a Battlefoam Hordes Bag.

I’ve been keen to buy one of these for some time now as I think the bags are the highest quality (in terms of construction and finishing) of any bags on the market today. I have three or four of the Flames Of War bags and they are a great investment. What stopped me purchasing one before now is the cost – one of the downsides of living in New Zealand is that freighting anything this far to the other side of the world is a wee bit costly. Throw in the fact that you could easily spend the same amount again on foams and it was just not an option for me.

I thought long and hard about buying a competing case, but at the end of the day I wanted something that is rugged and can carry an army plus a pile of other things. I am not looking for a storage solution – the figures will go in the case the day before an event, and in theory come out the day after. I have plenty of document storage cases that are perfect for keeping figures in, however they are terrible when it comes to transporting them on an airplane or when packed in the boot (trunk) of a car. I also wanted something where I could fill half the case with models, and then the other half with a can of deodorant and a couple of days of clothes so that when you fly to a tournament I could take the lot as carry-on.

On to the case itself… it turned up in 3 days which is impressive to say the least. Ordered on Saturday, shipped on Monday and in my hands on Wednesday. It is quite a bit larger than the FOW bag and feels a little more rugged. It has all the usual pockets that you would expect, and came with an assortment of trays.

One of the really cool features is that the back opens up and contains a wealth of pockets for your cards, a set of ring binder clips and a spot for your markers. Disappointingly it does not have a sensible place for your templates.

In terms of trays it contained two each, of three different trays: 
Small base infantry tray
Medium base / light 'jack or beast tray
Large 'jack tray

As you can see from the photos I had no problems fitting my entire Choptober army (minus the Stormwall admittedly) in less than three trays, as well as fitting my Long Gunners, a few extra 'jacks and solos.

As a transport solution I am sold on the Battlefoam bag. I am going to have to save up for a few extra trays, such as a generic 120mm base tray, a couple of Iron Fang Pikemen trays and a couple of others, but the basic ones look like they will do the job nicely!






No comments: